Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Greetings and random musings

Dear all, welcome back from spring break. I hope you all had a happy, restful, safe holiday. It was nice to see some of you at the Ash Wednesday service last week!

I'm sorry to have failed to update this place in almost two weeks. I have these dreams of writing these really thought-provoking posts that people come out of the woodwork to comment on. But I can't usually muster that, so I end up posting Muppets quizzes instead. I'd still love for some of the rest of you to make blog posts here as well. [Gad, Becky, Adam, Dave - this means you! - and anyone else who wishes to respond to the evite....]

At any rate, today I don't have any major topic or quote to bring before you (or even a silly quiz). So I'm just going to write random things.

Random Thing #1 - It is astonishing to me how much of a difference the immiment arrival of spring has made on my psyche. I love that the sun comes up earlier, stays up later, and seems to shine brighter during the day, and the effect of all this light seems to make my heart a little lighter. I find myself almost surprised that the weather is making its usual journey back towards springtime. Surprised, and delighted.

Random Thing #2 - I finally finished Paul's sweater. Wheeeee! You can read about it on my personal blog .

Random Thing #3 - If you lug a heavy bag of books that you paid approximately $200 for when they were new and which are still in excellent condition to Dawn Treader (used bookstore), they may buy one of them from you for a dollar. Or you can get store credit of $1.50. Then you can lug the rest of the heavy bag of books back home. It's really great fun. And not embarrassing at all.

Random Thing #4 - Evensong prayer service. Again. But you're not responsible for it this time (though Becky, if you're willing and available, I'd love for you to play the piano). Twice during Lent, as a part of FBCA2's Perspectives series, I am going to be coordinating Evensong services. They'll be at 6:30 on Thursday, March 16th and 30th. Come if you can.

Random Thing #5 - Did you see that Crash won Best Picture? It's still on our F&F list, and now I'm thinking maybe this month....

Random Thing #6 - Have you been looking for a way to volunteer your time to a worthy cause? If so, then there's a great opportunity right here at FBCA2 later this month. The week of March 20th, we will be hosting the "Extended Shelter." This is the overflow from the local shelters that there isn't room for. We need 2 or 3 people each night from 8:00 till 7:00 the next morning. Volunteers sleep in shifts and otherwise are just available (you can read, knit, or just hang out) to sign people in and out and to be of any other assistance. The following slots are still available:
Monday, March 20 - 3 slots
Tuesday, March 21 - 2
Wed, Mar 22 - 3
Th, Mar 23 - 1
Fri, Mar 24 - 1
Sat, Mar 25 - 1
Sun, Mar 26 - 3
Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you signed up!

Random Thing #7 - We've been linked! Is it one of you? Someone out there in blogland has included us in their list of sidebar links. We are in such illustrious company as the Boar's Head Tavern, Homestarrunner, What's for Dinner?, NoNoWriMo, and - my personal favorite (which I visit nearly every day) - You Knit What? How cool is that?!? [Becky, is it you? Emily?!?]

Enjoy the beauty of the day, folks. And don't leave me hangin' out here in cyberspace all by my lonesome.

2 comments:

unstable knitter said...

I confess! I confess! I am the linker! (What's for dinner?!?, by the way, links here, since I don't have any intention of attempting to eat NaNoWriMo. O.O )

I'll have to get back to you about the Perspectives Evensong- Perspectives always overlaps with handbell rehearsal...

earthchick said...

Hee! Very cool. I don't know what happened with the WFD link - I copied it and pasted it from the actual WFD page itself. Weird. I'll leave it as is, though, just for kicks....

Let me know about Perspectives. I forgot about bell choir rehearsal, but would still love for you to be a part of the Evensong gig.