Thursday, February 16, 2006

Film suggestions?

Okay, so Faith-and-Film is definitely on for this Sunday, 6:30 at our house. Still to be decided: the movie. Here are a few I have thought of:
Crash
Malcolm X
Life is Beautiful

All intense, all thought-provoking, all Oscar-nominated (Life is Beautiful won; Crash may yet) one quite long (Malcolm X). Some of you may have seen one or all. I'm leaning towards Crash myself but haven't yet screened it and am thoroughly open to comments and suggestions.

1 comment:

Gad said...

Not Life is Beautiful please.

If we're looking for war movies, saw this Italian film on Amazon, "Night of the Shooting Stars" which looks interesting, but whose availability at the local video store might be questionable.

If we're looking for Oscar winning films, I have a copy of "Nowhere in Africa" that I haven't actually yet watched.

Even better than Oscars is this Polish director called Krzysztof Kieslowski. Best known for his trilogy Red, White, and Blue, which are meditations on fate, coincidence, etc. He also produced a ten part series for television called the Decalogue, each one a one hour meditation on one of the ten commandments. Some of these have been expanded. E.g. The one on love into "A Short Film About Love."

I have Red, White, and Blue. My copy of the Decalogue, alas, is sitting at home in the Philippines. But it might well be available at the video store.

Anyway, enough of me.